Saturday, February 8, 2014

Missing January - Singapore and Hong Kong

I love that I have this blog to connect with everyone on a more detailed and personal level... and it has only come to my attention today that amongst all the chaos and excitement of the holiday season, it seems like the entire month of January has just gone missing for me.

We got to hang out with the tigers at the Tiger Temple over the holiday season. This little guy was so small, pretty much the same size as Bear!

Did you guys all have a chance to get some time off? I hope you managed to start off 2014 on a great note and not sick like me :( After coming back from holidays in Thailand, both me and Nick managed to fall sick so that wiped us out for a good week or so of the new year.

Then before I knew it, I was off to Singapore and Hong Kong to teach the first batch of international classes for 2014.

Cheeky Teddies in Singapore

It was so great to see some old faces in Singapore and to meet all the new and talented ladies in Hong Kong.

Milk Jugs in Hong Kong

Royal Wedding Cakes in Hong Kong

If you don't know... everything moves faster in Hong Kong. Those guys mean serious business. I have not been there since I was a kid so it was interesting to really get to know the people in the huge bustling city. From my week there I have observed the following things...

1. People walk faster in Hong Kong. In fact, the lifts hardly give you a chance to get in before the doors start to shut on you, the door close button on the lifts actually work and the escalators move faster too.

Red packet tree!

2. People eat SO fast in Hong Kong. Once, our lunch order was delivered late and we (or rather I) all tried to scoff down our lunch. I ate as fast as I could (in fact, as fast as I have ever eaten) and half way through I turned to the girl next to me and she was already packing up and throwing away her rubbish. She said to me 'that's nothing, look at the girl next to me, she's already done'. Wow, that was some serious talent!

3. Asians seem to be on to something when they ask for desserts to be less sweet. Being Asian myself, I love sweet, rich desserts and used to think that people who made it a point to ask for anything less sweet is weird. I loved all (well almost all) desserts just the way they are.

Desserts from Sift

Nick's Opera Cake Birthday Cake from Mandarin Oriental Hotel... it was amazing. Best Opera Cake ever.

Hazel nut something from Tony Wong so yummy!

Tony Wong's signature white chocolate rose cake filled with strawberry and raspberry cream cake. So amazing!!

Of course, desserts catered to the Hong Kong palette were all less sweet and light. And I think I may just have to change my views... I have had some of the best and yummiest desserts in Hong Kong... and because they were all less sweet and light, I didn't actually feel too guilty after consuming them. They satisfied without making you feel sick :)

Cupcakes from Sift... OMG....

On second thought, that was quite dangerous... I bought cupcakes from Sift 3 days in a row because it was the best cupcakes I've ever had. Light, moist, not so sweet frosting and so tasty.... mmm I'm dreaming of them now.

4. They seem to have this thing for sanitisation. Almost all public places had signs informing you that those areas were either sanitised hourly, every two hours or regularly. Based on this, I should not have gotten sick, but sadly I did come down with the cold at the end of the trip :(


5. Their train system was AMAZING. Even though we stayed a bit further out of the city and had to change trains 3 times to get to the city, it all was a seamless trip. Get of one train and the next train was there waiting. Miss the first train and the next one arrives in two minutes.


Now, I am off to bed and will come back soon to post about all the other exciting things I've got lined up this year :)

2 comments:

TooTTi FruiTTi said...

I too love Hong Kong and Singapore. Australian states could learn a lot from the HK MTR system. It's fast, cheap and efficient. I love how there are exits A B C etc. and each one naming what is at each exit. When we purchased cake once from a store right on the MTR it think it was at Jordan, they boxed them up like it was a gift. There was ribbons and bows and it looked beautiful. I didn't want to open it. I hope you are feeling better now. I think one get ill by going in and out of air conditioning over there as it is so humid in Singapore and Thailand. Plus you would have experienced a lot of pollution in HK. Cheers

TooTTi FruiTTi said...

I too love Hong Kong and Singapore. Australian state governments could learn a lot from the HK MTR system. It's fast, cheap and efficient. I love how there are exits A B C etc. and each one naming what is at each exit. When we purchased cake once from a store right on the MTR it think it was at Jordan, they boxed them up like it was a gift. There was ribbons and bows and it looked beautiful. I didn't want to open it. I hope you are feeling better now. I think one get ill by going in and out of air conditioning over there as it is so humid in Singapore and Thailand. Plus you would have experienced a lot of pollution in HK. Cheers

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin