Friday, May 18, 2012

Ask Me Anything - Post 5

Ask me anything is a weekly post where I answer any questions you may have about me. Cake decorating related or not :)

When ganaching a cake, many people recommend to let set overnight before applying fondant (to achieve sharp edges and so on) but in a professional environment when time is precious, isn't it the same to just put the cake in the fridge to chill and then cover in the same day?

While it is possible to ganache and cover a cake on the same day, I would recommend letting the cake 'rest' over night. This way the ganache sets nice and hard. It is also possible to place the ganached cake in the fridge for a couple of minutes to quicken the process, but I find that it is still not as firm as letting rest over night. If you put the cake in the fridge for too long, you will find the condensation will make the fondant sweat and you will need to allow it to come back to room temperature before covering.

In a professional environment, I would spend one day ganaching all the cakes I have for the week and then the next day covering them all.

Do you think community college cake decorating courses are old fashioned in terms of techniques used in comparison to all the other classes on offer by private companies?

Personally, I think community college classes are old fashioned in terms of the design styles they teach. Their techniques however, are still great and they will be a good solid foundation to your cake decorating skills. It's then up to you to apply these techniques to more modern designs.

I love the vertical stripes that you do, I have struggled doing these so precisely and straight in the past, what advice would you offer how to do these well?


Firstly, make sure the fondant stripes you cut are straight/even. Then the first stripe that is applied to the cake is the most important. It pretty much sets the 'bar' for the rest of the stripes. So when you apply it, take the time to ensure it is really straight by using a edge of a ruler to push against the fondant stripe. If it's a bit wonky, use a clean knife to trim off the uneven parts. Then when you apply the next stripe, it should sit right against the first one. Again, use the ruler and knife (if needed) to even it out. ALWAYS make sure you take a step back and look at the cake as a whole after every couple of stripes. This is to make sure that you catch any wonky or uneven stripes before it's too late.

If you’d like to ask a question feel free to email me (creations_at_sharonwee.com.au) or send me a message through Facebook.

6 comments:

vicky said...

with regards to the ganache is there a rule of thumb for how much to apply to the cake...

Eileen Fry Cakes said...

I love your work! How do you apply the stripes onto the cake and how thick are they? They look absolutely perfect!

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) said...

Such helpful tips!

Carmen said...

Hi, I just love your blog and your design. I would like to ask how to make your cake taste nice and not too sweet. As I had try making cake cover with fondant. The Taste is just too sweet with most buttercream and Fondant by itself is sweet too.. So making the cake nice to look at but not nice to taste. Thanks
Rdgs,
Carmen

timjaymom said...

Hi just came across your work and simply love what you're doing! May I ask if you use the same ganache that you cover the cakes for the fillings? Same ratio ie 2:1. Thanks.

Jenni P. said...

Thank you so much for this series! I've been making cakes for family for about 2 years now, and just got my first cake commission from outside my family, and your tips are REALLY helpful to. I'm a homeschooling SAHM of 4 kids 8 and under, with a 5th on the way, and I have to fit in learning new tips and techniques whenever I can. This series of posts is amazing. THANK-YOU!

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin