Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Some Unusual Cake Tools

A couple of months ago I organised all my cakey items and tools into drawers and there is one particular drawer that people are always surprised to see - the drawer of tools. I'm not talking about cake decorating tools, but more like tools that you would usually associate with hardware and building supplies.

So I thought I'd give everyone a sneak peek into my 'tool' drawer :)


It's got ribbons and glue which is to be expected but it's also got a handful of more unusual items in there. Before cake decorating I don't think I have even needed to step into a hardware store. Now I'm in there at least once a month.

So what else is in there? 

- My favourite glue gun which I can't do any major cakes without
- Secateurs (which was on of the best investments I've ever made) - cuts all my dowels and center poles with a single snip!
- Pliers to bend wires
- Skewers for figurines
- Face mask for me to wear during airbrushing and styrofoam carving
- Metal sheet cutter for metal and thick wires
- Measuring tape
- Mini saw for cutting stryofoam
- Grater/ Shaver and sandpaper for styrofoam carving
- Drill (not pictured) - do you know I've never used a drill in my life until I started doing big cakes?

Wow, years ago I would never have thought I would need all these to create cakes.  Hmmm, maybe in the future you'll find me blogging about metal pipes, motors and LED lights :P

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I know what do you use glue gun for? just curious

Dawn

Sharon said...

Hi Dawn - The glue gun is used to glue cake boards together, to stick my centre pole to the board and for some of my styrofoam carvings :)

Sharon

Caroline said...

I just have to say: you are amazing! I can't stop looking at all the beautiful things you create.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! All your creations are so beautiful.

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin