Friday, July 23, 2010

My Time at the Good Food and Wine Show

The following thoughts passed through my head last Thursday as I was setting up my tiny stand at the Good Food and Wine Expo:

- Oh my god, have I done the right thing?
- I'm not ready!
- What if no one stops to look at my cakes?
- What if no one likes my cupcakes?
- Have I forgotten to fill out a form?
- Will my cakes be safe at the stand over night?

Turns out, I was just being a big worry wort! The expo was a great experience and I'm so grateful my friends and cousins were on hand to help me out. 

 

The cakes did get some good attention and you won't believe the number of times someone asked me if my topsy turvy cake was meant to be 'wonky'. Or they'd approach me with a real look of concern on their face and say 'um, do you know your cake is leaning?' 


But the best would have to be the girl who walked past with her boyfriend and had a look of shock and what I can only describe as disgust and said 'urgh, that cake is wonky' before rolling her eyes and walking off. Or maybe the drunk English girl who wouldn't stop talking (or trying to get close) to my friend and musing about how one should get a discount for the cake because it wasn't straight - poor guy.


My cakes did manage to stay safe over night at the expo but on the last day as we were packing up, someone stole my foldable table! :( It was nothing special but I did just buy it a couple of days ago!

It was also so exciting that lots of people were interested in my workshops... it was more popular than I anticipated! So please hang in there all of you because I now have to re-juggle the workshop schedules and potentially look at a venue that will hold more people. It will be ready soon I promise!

Thank you to everyone who stopped by to say hi and to let me know they read the blog :) Makes me feel a little special because I don't get to meet many people who read or comment on my blog very often! A super thank you also goes out to Phuoc for donating some of her time to help me decorate the cupcakes and to Simon for the awesome award! I'm touched :)

So after the craziness of last week... I'm now preparing for my trip home to Singapore and my cousin's wedding. As I type, I can hear styrofoam being packed and heavy boxes of icing getting shifted. I also have to start organising + packing all my cake tools once I finish my orders this week. 

The wedding figurines. Now fingers crossed they survive the plane trip home!

See you all in Singapore :)

10 comments:

Justin said...

very impressive. that's a funny story about the couple that walked by.

Jushalex said...

Oh it is hilarious how those people think that there is something wrong with the cake and their reactions!! I can't wait to attend your workshops again. I learned so much and had a great time. Enjoy your trip to Singapore!

cupcakexgirl said...

It was good to meet you at the show - very funny about the comments on your topsy turvy cake hahaha some people are a bit daft!!

rudie2shoes said...

Everything is so pretty & cute (the figurines & bunny). :) Love them!

Winnie said...

Sigh! Glad to hear it was a success! The stall looked wonderful and I adore the magician's rabbit! Haha.... at least the topsy turvy got lots of attention :)

Simon Food Favourites said...

so glad to hear it was a fun and successful event for you. you've got an amazing talent and I know you'll go far with your passion :-)

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

I love that topsy turvy cake! It's a wonderful masterpiece and how funny are people's reactions! All the best Sharon, your little business will be big one day :)

Have a great time in Singaapore. Eat loads of food for me :)

Sharon said...

Justin - Thanks! People like that always seem to amaze me ;)

Thanks Jushalex, I'm really keen to get those workshops going too!

It was so lovely to meet you too cupcakexgirl!

Thanks Rudie2shoes :)

Winnie - I'm so relived it all went well. oh! I drove past the shoe shop the other day and saw your cake in the window. It looked awesome :)

Thanks for coming by to see me Simon!

Phouc - I will be eating lots! I'm already putting my list together :) yum yum

Rose said...

How funny the reactions towards the wonky cake! Next time you will have to put up a sign to let people know :) Looks like you had a great time anyhow.

Rose

Ladybird said...

Well done, Sharon :) I'm sorry I didn't get to visit you at the show, but I'm sure you did a fantastic job!

Pity about the weirdos though... there are always some wherever you go - yikes!

Looking forward to hearing more about the workshops!

Enjoy Singapore, la!
xxx

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin