Tuesday, July 6, 2010

More than 'just cake'

My heart always breaks a little when someone says 'it's just cake' when referring to what I do.

I know what is under the sugar works of art is deliciously moist cake, but it is what's on top that I am the most passionate about.

This week I made a cake for the cutest little boy. He loves playing Mario Kart and his mum wanted to surprise him with a cake of his favourite character and kart for his birthday. 



The bullet bike is balancing on the two wheels by the way! This was a structurally challenging cake but I'm so happy to have had the honour of making it. Why? Because when I delivered it, the little boy came down stairs with his mum and I wish I had a picture of his face as I took the cake out from my car. He had an initial look of shock which then quickly turned into pure joy when he realised that I was holding his cake. 

'Is THAT my cake?! Oh wooooow! I was just playing that game this morning mum!'


I don't think I have EVER felt so rewarded when delivering a cake. It was just so touching to see his excitement and eagerness as he stared at the cake. And the look on the mum's face as she saw her son really made my heart melt - it really confirmed that I did not deliver 'just cake' ;)

Last week I also attended Planet Cake's master class and it was truly an intensive 4 days. I was mentally and physically exhausted each day when I got home but it was the most fun I've had. I made lots of awesome new friends and got to learn and experience from some of the most talented people in the world.

Almost 30 hours of work went into creating this cake. Yes that's right... 30 hours - over 4 days. The sugar flowers are the most time consuming - every single petal and leaf you will see on the cake was created individually by hand, assembled and painted and dusted with colour. 

All the orchid petals hanging out to dry.

 The roses getting their drying time before the next round of petals are added on.

The cake assembly itself takes a long time.

All the flowers then need to be carefully attached to the cake.

 Don't forget the little details!

And TA-DA....

The finished cake!

The cake was nearly half my size! A big thank you to AM and Linda for all their wonderful help. I learned heaps over the 4 days :) and a super thank you to my new friend Winnie who was generous enough to help me with some of my sugar flowers (even though she had tonne to do!), I don't think I would have been able to finish on time if it wasn't for her!

9 comments:

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

My goodness! Just look at your cakes!

I could imagine how excited the little boy must have been when he saw that cake. Job well done. It's jobs like these that push you to create more wonderful cakes for people. What an amazing feeling it would have been for you upon delivering this cake.

I've always wanted to make a topsy turvy cake but would not know where to start! I know this isn't the mad hatter cake but the concept is kinda the same right? Regardless, it looks stunning! I love orchids and I see that you have made them for this cake. Weee.... So pretty! And butterflies! I love butterflies.

Oh you are amazing! :)

Rose said...

Completely amazing! Such a shame to eat your masterpieces.

Rose

Joanna said...

You are so talented. What a beautiful cake!

Kristy Sayer said...

Your cakes are definitely more than "just cake" they're works of art!
If I gave my boyfriend that Mario Kart cake he'd probably cry. No kidding.

Simon Food Favourites said...

incredible looking cake. you're amazing and so professional. :-)

Anonymous said...

hi sharon,

just wondering what you cover your cake boards with (the black ones). is it just store bought contact? i can't seem to find a straight answer online regarding this (like whether regular contact is ok or not or if there something more ideal).

btw love the photo with the little kid :)

Sharon said...

Thanks Everyone!

Phuoc - The butterflies are my favourite part too! And it is a similar set up to the mad hatter but it structurally more difficult. I felt like I needed an engineering degree to do it!

Rose - Luckily I get to keep this one! It's all styrofoam :)

Joanna - Thank you!

Kristy - My BF really loves mario kart too, so he was putting a lot of pressure on me to get all the details correct!

Simon - Thank you!!

Anonymous - Yes my black boards are covered with contact. It is the regular contact you can buy at the newsagents. Ideally I'd like to find something wholesale (more practical) but that is on my list of things to do at the moment ;)

Heaven is a Cupcake said...

Oh wow those cakes are amazing. Definitiely more than 'just' cake!! Works of art :D

thiternik said...

I follow you almost a year now - don't comment but always get inspired. You are doing some amazing wonderful staff.. take a fairytale! After this post I couldn't just pass by and not to say you are a fairy! real fairy of the baking! heats of!

I also bake.. just a little bit.. and I wish I could do smt like you do! keep on going and making our lives sweet !:)

Best Wishes
Emma

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin