Sunday, June 6, 2010

Learning from the Best


The key to being good at something is to never, ever stop learning. I hope I never get to a point where I know everything and anything about sugar art (or anything in general!), because that would be really boring. What makes each new project so exciting for me is the whole planning process, anticipation and the learning experiences that come with it.

I consider myself really luckily to be living in Sydney. When I made the decision earlier this year to really invest in myself and my business, I'm really grateful that part of the investment costs didn't include travel or accommodation. 

On a side note, I did consider a learning holiday to the United States (home of the crazy and unbelievable cakes), but it was way to expensive and too hard to organise the dates.

So, if I was going to spend the big bucks I decided I was only going to learn from the best and most talented. With Planet Cake just a 20 minute drive from where I live, I booked myself in for their advanced courses. People and professionals travel from interstate (and in some cases overseas!) to attend their courses so like I said, it's a luxury that I am so close by.

A few of my friends have questioned why I am going to courses when I could already 'decorate really good cakes'? Well, that's because I want to do more than just 'really good cakes'. I want to do show stopping, crazy and insane cakes! To learn from the best in the industry is just a privilege. So watch this blog space because in the next few months I'm off to sharpen my skills and polish my creativity :) I promise to bring you some crazy, awesome cakes :D 

A sneak peek of things to come...

On another side note - Thank you to all the people who showed up to the cake tasting day last weekend. It was great to hear your feedback and so fantastic to meet/catch up with fellow bloggers (Anna, Simon and Phuoc) and blog readers. Special thanks to Phouc for posting a review on her blog and introducing me to an awesome scone place at the Rocks :)

5 comments:

Ladybird said...

Thanks again for inviting me to be part of the tasting - it was nice to catch up and get to try your new flavours.

Looking forward to seeing all your crazy, insanely wonderful cakes in the not too distant future :) xxx

Dolly said...

very nice blog u have =)

hopefully i get the chance to try out one of your classes..

ur def. very creative hehe

Helen said...

awesome! I want to do a class too in PC, but I wonder what will I do with the decorated cake (if it's real). What did you do with it?

Sharon said...

Anna - It was so lovely to catch up :) Thanks again for coming!

Dolly - Thank you. I look forward to having you in my workshops!

Helen - The PC classes are fantastic. You can either keep the cake, sell it or offer it to a friend or family? I've pretty much got all of my ones reserved for my friends :) If not PC also gives you the option of donating it to charity.

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

One day I think I'll be following your path as I see myself being involved in cakes :D

Mmmmm... Those scones were so yummy!

Btw, I love SF!! :D

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin