Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to Meeee :D


It was my birthday last Friday and it was a little sad because it didn't feel so 'magical' anymore. I had a fantastic day (as much as you can have at work!) and the celebrations continued into the weekend with some wonderful presents and people.

The boyfriend took me to Becasse and it was absolutely amazing! I had the Royale of Spanner Crab entree. It was so light and the creamy bisque looked like foam... it was all bubbly and delicate - the whole thing just basically melted in my mouth. But the absolute highlight for me was the banana creme brulee. It sounds simple and basic but this was one of the most amazing and creative desserts I've ever had. It was presented beautifully in a cone shaped glass, had fresh pieces of banana between the layers of rich, creamy custard and hidden inside all of that were crunchy sweet clumps of salted peanut brittle... and to top it off, all this was covered by a thin layer of crispy sugar crust - YUM.

But the magic I used to feel as a kid - when it would feel as if ANYTHING could happen and that it was the most special day in the year had disappeared for me. Maybe because I am finally a real grown up and reality has hit? It just felt like any other day really! Minus all the birthday wishes of course :)

 Yes, I made my own cake!

A week earlier I also attended my first Planet Cake class (one where we decorated real cake). So with a cake weighing about 17kgs and big enough to feed 220 people, I invited my closest friends over on the weekend to celebrate and most importantly help me eat some cake! 


The class was amazing and i just loved spending the 3 days at the Planet Cake studio just taking in the surroundings and getting access to all their cool decorating toys ;) I can't wait for the rest of my classes and all the awesome cakes I'll get to make!


I must admit it was really hard for me to make that first cut into my cake. In total there was over 20 hours of work that went into this cake. The little birdies carefully carved from styrofoam and each individual petal on the flowers were made on separate wires and bundled together. 


Yum... six layers of rich chocolate mud cake.

Remember little Isla? Look how much she has grown now! Unfortunately she wasn't allowed to have any cake :)

Thank you to all my wonderful friends who came and for the presents!

My friend Steff reckons you could use the sugar flowers in your hair.

15 comments:

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

YAY! Besides work, it did seem like you had a great time. I had to laugh when I read that you baked your own cake; but after reading that it was from Planet Cakes it's ok. But damn! 17kgs?! How did you manage to carry it home? I absolutely love the stripey detail on the bottom layer, it's so elegant and pretty. I'm letting you know now that you are making my wedding cake! lol

Rose said...

Happy birthday!
And what an amazing cake to celebrate :) I dont think I would have been able to make that first cut if it were mine, its too pretty!

Rose

chocolatesuze said...

happy birthday sharon! the cake looks fabulous!

rudie2shoes said...

Happy birthday! The cake you made is beautiful!

Joanna said...

Happy birthday! Your cake looked amazing.

Kristy Sayer said...

Happy Birthday! Your cake is gorgeous :)

Sharon said...

Phuoc - I managed to find another girl in class and we both helped each other to the car. It was HEAVY, my arms were wobbling after!

Rose - Thank you! My heart broke a little when I cut into it :)

Thanks Suze, Rudie, Joanna and Kristy!

Jeremy said...

You’re right Sharon, the cake should never have been cut!
It should have been eaten whole… by me 
Sam and I fought over the leftovers and now it’s all gone and we are sad, it was a really amazing cake both in looks and taste! I think Isla was sucking the leftover flavours out of the spoon hehe.
Thanks for having us around and sharing all that amazing food with us, but I can honestly say the cake was the best thing there. Time for you to put those fancy bakeries out of business!

Jordan - Polkadot Prints said...

Wow! That cake is just incredible...every.single.layer!! Happy birthday! xo

Ladybird said...

Happy belated birthday, Sharon! Your cake looked superb - sheer perfection really (what else from you?!).. I love the birds on top - so sweet. Wishing you all the best for the year ahead...
Anna xxx

Ladybird said...

Happy belated birthday, Sharon! :D What a perfect cake - every detail sheer perfection - and what stunning flowers and birds :)

Sheryl said...

Happy belated birthday, that cake looks stunning and I would be hesitating to cut into it as well! I wish I lived up in Syd so I could attend those Planet Cake classes, it must be so much fun.

Simon Food Favourites said...

that's one AWESOME looking cake. so sad to cut it but it's great to share. i'm sure everyone loved it. great to hear you had a good meal at Becasse as well. the spanner crab entree sounds like a good one. happy birthday ! :-)

Sharon said...

Thank you Jordon, Anna, Simon and Sheryl! It was so nice to have all my good friend around for my birthday :)

Jeremy - You should have taken more cake!

Simon - the spanner crab was awesome! And the other day I went for lunch at Plan B and the spinach and pumpkin tart was sooooo amazing as well, especially the pastry! It had a little crunch AND also melted in your mouth.... mmmm :)

Brandon said...

hi i love your birthday cake i actually made a high cake myself but i found it really hard to cover. i was wondering if you would be able to guide me cover my next high cake as i have so many books on cake decorating and just cant find anything that will help me make a cake look as good as yours thanks very much, hoping you can help regards jolene

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin