Sunday, April 4, 2010

Daring to Dream!


I've forgotten what it's like to be a kid. Where you didn't have to worry about paying bills, the future, a job or the leaking sink. All that you wondered about was tomorrow and where your biggest concern was if you were going to get to the next level in your computer game or what's for dinner. But where, most importantly you could let your imagination run wild and dream the impossible. I remember my brother used to ask me 'if aliens landed and took over the world and we couldn't run away, what would we do?' Which adult in their right mind would ask their friend that question?



During my visit to the Kennedy Space Centre and Disneyland, it made me really think. Both places catered towards kids and you could just see the glow on the kids faces when they saw the huge space ships or got to meet Mickey for the first time. Both never failed to remind kids that they could do and be anything. The astronauts in the space centre invited the kids to go into space with them one day and in Disney, kids were wished 'may all your dreams come true'. The cheesy alarm bells were ringing in my cynical side, but my sentimental side felt so touched.

It really did make me wonder, when did it all change? When did we change from kids with potential to hearing the negative voices of reality get into our head with 'you can't', 'but', 'never' and 'yeah right!'? Maybe it was when we entered the 'real world' or when grownups started saying 'don't be silly!' about our dreams.



I've decided that I will no longer just dream and wonder about the 'what ifs' but I will do! I must admit, I'm feeling slightly scared of the unknown, but a wise person once said to me 'if you keep doing what you are doing, you'll keep getting what you've got'. Think about it :)

5 comments:

apparentlyjessy said...

Not only are the cupcakes in the post the sweetest and nicest I have seen in a while, I am in love with the rainbows, but the actual post has left me thinking and inspired! Great post!

Jennifer Richins said...

I too am a big fan of that quote. All to often we want something different than what we have, yet we don't do anything differently to achieve the result. I guess that's why people play the lottery!

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

Oh what I would give to be carefree again.. My boyfriend's 2yo nephew just recently had his birthday. He loves Toy Story so for his present he got a Woody and Buzz lightgear toy. He was squealling (high pitch) as he was opening the presents and then to be holding Woody himself after seeing him on the screen over and over again.. Who knows what was going on in his mind as this was happening. Ahhh... the innocence of children.

Lovely cupcakes by the way. Bring on more beautiful creations!

Gastronomy Gal said...

I love looking at the world through the eyes of a child. So much more exciting and less stressful! Those little cakes look adorable.

MsLuckyPiggy said...

I just came across your official web and blog last night, I found myself couldn't stop browsing, looking at your beautiful creation of cakes.

You are one of the person who inspired me A LOT!

AND MORE after I read your blog "Daring to Dream!"
and when you wrote:
"It really did make me wonder, when did it all change? When did we change from kids with potential to hearing the negative voices of reality get into our head with 'you can't', 'but', 'never' and 'yeah right!'? Maybe it was when we entered the 'real world' or when grownups started saying 'don't be silly!' about our dreams."

HUGE THANK YOU for that.

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin