Sunday, June 7, 2009

My First Cupcake Workshop

This last week hasn't been a very good one for me. I got sick last Friday and have been recovering since :( urgh. I hate the feeling of fuzziness in my head and the weak feeling in my body. I'm still feeling a bit tired this last couple of days, but luckily we've got a long weekend this weekend for me to build my strength up.

Yesterday, I ran my very first cupcake decorating workshop with Brian, my very first student! Brian contacted me because he wanted to learn how to decorate cupcakes for his fiance Renee. How sweet is that? Every girl I tell this to always gushes about how sweet it is that he would go to so much effort to do this for his fiance!

It was such a great session! I like the feeling of showing someone how to do something and see them succeed so well :) Brian did his research well and came armed with some photos and ideas of what Renee would like. He knew he wanted the cupcakes to be decorated with pastel colours and lots of cute food and bunnies. So after working with him to come up with a general theme and design, we got to work!

For someone who has had no idea about rolled icing, he had very steady hands and handled it really well. He was a quick learner and also had a note pad to take down notes! I was impressed and flattered that something I said could be worthy of notes... hehehe. Here are some pictures from the workshop...


Working on the little models.

Rolling out the icing...

Putting on the final touches...

Love the cute little faces he drew on the cupcakes

My favourite one :)

TA-DA... the final cupcake set! Look how pretty they are!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

I love them! How neat that he got a one on one class. That is what I need. Great work.

Risa said...

What great story. I love how they turned out.

Risa said...

What great story. I love how they turned out.

caronae said...

They're adorable! How do you make rolled icing?

Grimmy said...

They turned out great. Brian seems like a really sweet guy!

Dutch girl loves2bake said...

They look so cute! Love the colors too!

apparentlyjessy said...

Cute overload! Gorgeous cupcakes indeed! :)

Sharon said...

Thanks everyone!
Sarah - if you are ever in Sydney, give me a call :D
Risa - yes, Brian was super talented :)
Caronae - I buy the rolled icing, it's easier and quicker that way.
Grimmy - Yes they did! And he told me Renaee loved it too :)
Dutch Girl - Pastels just go so well together don't they?
Jessy - thank you! it was such a fun day!

Trisha said...

Oh my goodness! I just discovered your blog and I'm now hooked! I've always wanted to work with fondant and do some cake art but I'm such a noob I'm scared to tackle it. Anyway I sure will be coming back here to get a few tips!

Kat said...

that is so sweet! And he did an awesome job too!

Ray Ray said...

So cute! and yes, very sweet! I loved seeing him using the pink rolling pin...only a real man can do that!

Christina said...

Oh my, those are absolutely adorable!!!! You must be an awesome teacher. I just discovered your blog so I'm reading thru your posts right now & can't help myself from commenting! haha

betty said...

omg - he is so creative they are just gorgeous!

BeAuTiful_LiFe_joUrneY said...

Wow love them~! May I ask where did you learn your first cake decorating course? or where would you recommend? You have just inspired me to learn cake decorating class~!!!!

Sharon said...

Beautiful_Life - Thank you! Where are you based? I did my first course at a community college but now I'm furthering my skills with a cake decorating school. Everything else in between was self thought with the help of the internet :D

BeAuTiful_LiFe_joUrneY said...

Thanks for your reply, Sharon. I am now based in SYD. May I ask what's the name of the cake decorating school?

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin