Monday, March 30, 2009

Butterfly Passion Fruit Tart Recipe

I'm a huge fan of Adriano Zumbo's passion fruit tart. I've been to his store twice now and I get the passion fruit tart each time, and everyone I've given it to has loved it just as much as me. Except the boyfriend who thinks it's a bit too eggy. Which is fine by me because it means I will get it all to myself the next time we get it!

Adriano Zumbo's Beautiful Passion Fruit Tart


So last week I decided to try and make my own passion fruit tart. This is my first passion fruit tart so of course it was nothing like Adriano Zumbos. But it was a good start!


The filling wasn’t as creamy and smooth as his but it did have a good texture. It was a bit too sweet and not enough passion fruit for me so I've altered the recipe below to fix that (however, please note I haven't tried the new measurements myself). The original recipe is from Big Oven and I have reduced the quantity by half.

The pastry recipe is from Jamie Oliver but I made some changes. I also reduced the quantity by half and omitted the lemon zest and added a pinch of salt.

Instead of having a plain looking tart, I wanted to make it a little more exciting, so I made some coloured swirls and used the leftover pastry to decorate the edges. I love pastry (sometimes more than the filling it's holding) so this was a bonus :)

Sweet Shortcrust Pastry

(Original recipe from Jamie Oliver
)

250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
50g icing sugar, sifted
125g room temperature butter
Pinch of salt
1 Egg
a splash of milk

Instructions

Place the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl and make a well in the middle. Add the butter, eggs and splash of milk. With your hands mix the wet ingredients together and then start incorporating the dry ingredients. When well combined it should resemble a dough. Roll into a ball and place in the fridge for approx 15 to 20 mins to chill.

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.

When chilled, dust the surface of the table with some flour and roll out the dough. Place the dough in to a tart pan and shape. Place some baking beads or a piece of baking paper with rice on top on the pastry to prevent it from rising when in the oven. Bake for approx 20 mins. Then remove the baking beads or rice and bake for a further 10 mins.

With the leftover pastry, roll and cut out different shapes to decorate your tart. Bake for about 15 to 20 mins.

Passion Fruit Tart Filling (Original recipe at Big Oven)

4 Passion fruits

4 Egg yolks

2 Eggs

100 g Caster sugar

100 g Unsalted butter

75 ml Double cream

Glaze

2 teaspoons Apricot jam

Instructions

Bring the juice and contents of the passion fruit up to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the butter, mixing continuously. Whisk the caster sugar, eggs and egg yolks together until well creamed. Pour and mix well. Then add the cream.

Pour into your pre-baked tart case and bake for 30-45 minutes at 160 degrees. You'll know it's ready when the filling does not jiggle when you gently shake the pan. Let the tart cool and then add the glaze.

To make the glaze, put two teaspoons of apricot jam and 1 1/2 teaspoons of boiling water into a bowl. Mix well and then use a brush to apply the glaze.

Place all the pastry pieces on a piece of paper and dust well with icing sugar. Then place it onto the finished tart.

There you go, you have a tart that is slightly different and does not look like 'just another tart'!

2 comments:

Grace said...

All passionfruit tarts should have gorgeous passionfruity swirls like the ones in yours hahah :)

FFichiban said...

Ooh yummmmm! Your creations are so cute hee hee

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin