Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Bag and Rainbows

It’s been a busy couple of weeks and I haven’t really had a chance to create anything until this weekend, as I spent all of last weekend playing in a volleyball comp. I was exhausted but it was fun (even if our team only won one game)!

Last week I got an order for a bag cake, I’ve not made one before so I was excited to give it a go. Luckily the shape of the bag was simple enough so it was pretty easy to cover it. The chain and ribbon through it is real and all in all, I think it went well. A guy ordered this for his girlfriend so I hope she is happy with it.


Some time during the last week, I also got the new Planet Cake book. For those of you who might not know, Planet Cake is this super cool cake shop in Balmain (in Sydney) and their cakes are amazingly flawless and so pretty. They do courses which I’ve always wanted to do but unfortunately can’t really afford. So when I saw that they had published a book, I couldn’t wait to get it! It’s got some fantastic basic methods and advice (they explain how to get that amazing flawless look) in there, so I’d definitely recommend it for any cake decorating enthusiast.

In one of their first few pages, I saw a wedding cake design that really inspired me. It was a rainbow based design but then it was covered with white rolled icing with leaves cut out so that the rainbow design showed through the cut out leaves. I had spare cupcakes left from my bag order so I decided to try it out.

I love rainbow colours and gradients!

My favourite one :)

The only down side is that there is then 2 layers of rolled icing on the cupcakes. I tried rolling the icing really thin but it still felt like there was a lot of icing. But hey, I think it’s a pretty cool design... imagine the other patterns and colours you could do on the base layer :)

5 comments:

FFichiban said...

OOhh niice! The bag looks awesome but maybe too pretty to eat :P

And I must try this Planet Cake in balmain thhx!

YSLGuy said...

Great job on the bag, it looks so real.

I love those cupcakes, they are so beutiful. Truly a work of art. I might have to pick up that book.

lyndsay said...

super cool!

beginner said...

hello wee..
very nice indeed.
can you share how did you get those rainbows just nicely done? ususally when we knead, the colours will marblelized and won't look like this.
thanks in advance!

Sharon said...

Thank you for all the nice comments :)

Beginner, the rainbow gradiant was brushed on. To do it, you just need to add some food colouring to vodka and then brush it on. Hope that helps. Good Luck :)

Stuff you might also like...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin